The scheme aims to nurture new talent and to encourage bursary winners to take the next steps in their career. Participation in Devon Open Studios, running from 9 – 24 September 2023, is funded for each winner, and the artists are offered support to raise their profile. One bursary winner is selected for The Joanna Radford Award, and will receive a further grant towards materials.
Who can apply?
The bursaries are aimed at those:
- taking their first steps into professional arts practice,
- returning to creative practice after a career break or change,
- or currently taking their art in a new direction.
Applicants must be based in Devon; a member of the Devon Artist Network, and have registered for Devon Open Studios 2023 by the deadline 26 March 2023.
All art forms will be considered.
- Up to 5 successful applicants will receive a bursary covering their entry fees for Devon Open Studios.
- One of the bursary winners will be selected for The Joanna Radford Award and receive a further £150 towards materials.
- Artists will have access to skills and training workshops as part of Devon Open Studios that help to develop and sustain their creative business and open studio event.
- Artists will receive PR and marketing training and support to the value of £1000-1200 and will be highlighted in the printed guide and website.
- Artists will be invited to a professional promotional photo shoot for Devon Open Studios, with the resulting images free for them to use for their own promotion.
What is expected of bursary artists?
Bursary winners will be expected to engage fully in PR, social media and associated promotion for Devon Open Studios, via DAN’s and their own networks. This will include making themselves available for the photo shoot, training and any media interviews that may arise. Winners will also be asked to complete a short report on their experience after the event.
How to Apply.
Application is by email. Please include a CV and letter of up to 500 words, or as an alternative please submit a video or audio format (max. 5 mins) in English or BSL.
Please address the following questions in your application.
1. What aspect of your practice makes you eligible for an Emerging Artist Bursary.
2. What you hope to achieve during Devon Open Studios 2023.
3. How an Emerging Artist Bursary will help you to achieve this.
4. Your professional and artistic objectives for the next two years.
In addition to the above information, you will need to submit three images to support your application (images to be emailed or link provided to a relevant website).
Please send applications to: Sarah Chapman, Devon Artist Network Coordinator, at email@example.com to arrive by Friday 14 April 2023.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome at the beginning of May.
Image: Emerging Artist 2022 Bursary Award winner: Clare Willcocks. Photograph by Jim Wileman.