Devon Artist Network supports new and emerging artists taking part in Devon Open Studios from 7 – 22 September 2024. The Emerging Artist Bursary aims to nurture and encourage new talent to take the next steps in their career by funding their participation in this prestigious annual open studios event.
Who can apply?
The bursaries are aimed at those:
- taking their first steps into professional arts practice,
- returning to creative practice after a career break or change,
- or currently taking their art in a new direction.
Applicants must be a member of the Devon Artist Network and be based in Devon.
All art forms will be considered.
- Up to 5 successful applicants will receive a bursary that covers the fee to participate in the Devon Open Studios.
- One of the bursary winners will be selected for The Joanna Radford Award and receive a further £150 towards materials.
- Artists will have access to skills and training workshops as part Devon Open Studios that look at how to develop and sustain a creative practice and business.
- Artists will receive PR and marketing training and support to the value of £1000-1200.
- Artists will be invited to a professional promotional photo shoot for Devon Open Studios on a set date (to be circulated), with the resulting images free for artists to use for their own promotion.
- Artists will receive dedicated PR and training support for Devon Open Studios, and will be highlighted in the printed guide and website.
Devon Open Studios
Devon Open Studios is a great way to get your work seen; expand your network; sell your work; reach new audiences, and make new friends.
In 2023 over 330 artists took part in Devon Open Studios, receiving an estimated 22,000 visitors and generating in the region of £318,439 across the two-week event – with all income going direct to artists.
What is expected of bursary artists?
Bursary winners will be expected to engage fully in PR, social media and associated promotion for Devon Open Studios, via DAN’s and their own networks. This will include making themselves available for the photo shoot, training and any media interviews that may arise. Winners will also be asked to complete a short report on their experience after the event.
How to Apply?
Application is by email. Please include a CV and letter of up to 500 words, or as an alternative please submit a video or audio format (max. 5 mins) in English or BSL.
Please address the following questions in your application:
1. What aspect of your practice makes you eligible for an Emerging Artist Bursary.
2. What you hope to achieve during Devon Open Studios 2024.
3. How an Emerging Artist Bursary will help you to achieve this.
4. Your professional and artistic objectives for the next two years.
In addition to the above information, you will need to submit three images to support your application (images to be emailed or link provided to a relevant website).
Please send applications to: Sarah Chapman at email@example.com to arrive by Friday 02 March 2024.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by the end of March.
For information on Devon Open Studios and how to register, visit our website: https:// devonopenstudios.co.uk